When Seminole residents are trying to lose weight, it’s important to remember a family physician can and should be seen as a valued partner in weight loss plan. Being familiar with your family’s history and with your own personal medical past, your doctor can be the best person to suggest possible means of healthy weight loss that are adapted to your needs. Starting the dialogue with your care provider is the first step to a healthier lifestyle. Together you will be able to:
- Define Your Goal – People have different body types and obviously have different expectations for that body type. Ask yourself “what should MY target weight be?” You and your doctor can utilize the BMI or Body Mass Index, which compares your height and weight to determine if you are underweight, overweight, or at a healthy weight. Setting a goal is an important part of a successful plan; however it is crucial to set realistic expectations.
- Deal With Current Medication – Many prescription drugs can and will affect your weight. Certain antidepressants, steroids, and antihistamines can cause you to hold onto water weight. So, when discussing your weight loss plan, with your Seminole family physician, be sure to bring up any medications you are currently taking. Your physician can help you come up with a customized plan that takes these into account.
- Get Some Extra Help: Your doctor is a valuable resource to use when you need specific assistance or even just a little extra help with your weight loss plan. He has the general knowledge to help you get started, but also know other experts in Seminole he can refer you to for additional help. From meal plans to exercise adapted to you needs, your family physician can provide you with tips to ensure you have a successful experience.
Don’t Be Afraid To Ask Your Family Physician For Help
Too many people in Seminole don’t achieve the results they want because they lack the proper support. Know that your family physician can help you with much more than treating a little cold. Dr. Fred Leslie and his staff have all the necessary knowledge and experience to help you and your family achieve optimal health and happiness. We also offer some of the most affordable weight loss plans in the area; so if you want to look great, feel great, and not spend a fortune, call us today at the Seminole Family Health Clinic at 727-851-9910.
Allergy season can be a brutal time for Seminole sufferers, as well as their loved ones. There’s no time to go outside and play if you’re stuck inside sneezing and congested. Before you head to the pharmacy to grab what you can off the shelf, consider heading to a local family physician for a personalized treatment to kick those runny nose blues.
Finding the Source
If your allergies are caused by pollen, or as we often hear “something in the air”, the symptoms are almost always the same. From a simple nasal congestion, to more important conditions like asthma, you just need to understand where these come from.
People with allergies have an immune system that works slightly differently than people who don’t need to worry about transitioning into spring. Allergens present in the air in Seminole are not extremely dangerous to the body, but when your immune system works too hard, it might think pollen is a threatening substance.
To help you determine what your body will be reacting to, your family physician can perform a skin or blood test.
- A skin test involves infecting a small patch of skin with a certain allergen and waiting to see if it causes an irritation. These are often done in small areas with the option of testing several possibilities at once. If the skin reddens or a rash appears, that is confirmation that it is the source of your ailments.
- Taking a blood sample allows professionals to examine how many antibodies your blood makes when introduced to a certain allergen. The more antibodies produced when suspected, the more sensitive to the substance you are. Blood tests are more often done on those who cannot, for whatever reason, have a skin test performed.
Once your allergens are identified using one of these methods, your family physician can more accurately provide you with solutions and recommend certain medication to help you.
A family physician is a great place to turn to when residents of Seminole are having allergy problems. They know you and your families’ medical records and can give you the best advice on how to fight back. Dr. Leslie and the staff at his practice specialize in primary care, minor urgent care and OMT. You don’t need an appointment and most insurance policies are being accepted. Give us a call at 727-851-9910 to discuss your options.
At Seminole Family Health Clinic, it is important for us to help our patients stay as healthy as possible year-round. As Florida residents, we know we are lucky to be graced with beautiful weather—most of the time. However, although we may not have to deal with snow storms and blizzards, this doesn’t mean we are immune to the colds that often accompany the winter season.
Tips to Avoid Cold & Flu Season
Contrary to popular belief, it is not completely impossible to sail through these colder months without getting sick. Of course, we want the patients of Seminole Family Health Clinic to practice preventative health measures to decrease their chances of getting sick. Below are some of the habits you should adopt for optimal levels of health all winter long.
- Wash and sanitize hands throughout the day. The majority of colds and flus are spread in high traffic, public areas that get a lot of human contact, such as door handles, railings, and fax machines. While it is strongly recommended you carry hand-sanitizer, it is not as effective as thoroughly washing your hands at a sink with soap and water. Obviously, you should do this after every time you go to the bathroom. But be conscious of doing it when once you arrive home, before you cook, etc.
- Drink tea and water. At Seminole Family Health Clinic, we strongly encourage our patients to tea during the chillier months of the year. Black and green teas are packed with antioxidants that help boost the immune system. Drinking water throughout the day to stay hydrated will also help rid your body of harmful toxins.
- Carry anti-bacterial wipes. With a constant flux of viruses circulating throughout winter, it is important to not only sanitize your hands, but the spaces in which you work. From the workout equipment and machines at the gym to your desk and work area in the office, using anti-bacterial wipes will help ward off those nasty germs.
- Get enough sleep. You may be sick of hearing how important sleep is, but that is because the power of a good night’s sleep cannot be understated. People who get less than seven hours of sleep a night, on average, have weaker immune systems and, therefore, are more susceptible to cold viruses.
Unfortunately, sometimes even our best efforts at avoiding cold and flu season aren’t enough to keep the germs away. If you’re sick, or can feel the symptoms starting to come on, visit us at Seminole Family Health Clinic to get the appropriate antibiotics/medicine you need. If you know you have the flu, don’t try to manage it yourself, as you could be contagious and will only increase the chances of making others sick too!
For more information, call us today at 727-851-9910 or visit our walk in clinic!
When you and your loved ones are looking for the best family physician in Seminole, the search can quickly get overwhelming.
Your ideal doctor will take care of your entire family: you, your spouse, and your children. There to help you with any health care concerns and decisions you may have, you want to be able to build a good relationship with the person who plays an important role in keeping you in good health.
Choosing a family physician is essential. When you need a doctor, it is too late to pick one; make your choice early so you know you have someone to count on in case of emergency.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing a physician for your family:
- Make sure the practitioner will be able to take care of all family members, from birth to elderly age, especially if you are considering having parents and grandparents to join you at a new medical practice.
- Is your insurance plan accepted by the Seminole doctor’s office you are considering?
- Will the family physician help you prevent medical issues with routine checkups and shots? Preventive medicine is one of the keys to staying healthy.
- Does the practice offer any specific services you or your family may need?
When you think you are ready to make a decision, contact the physician’s office and plan a visit where you will be able to discuss your medical history, your family’s needs, and your concerns. That is the best way to see if the doctor will be the best fit for your family.
Dr. Fred Leslie practices medicine in his office located in Seminole where he offers a variety of services for your primary care needs. At this family physician’s practice, chronic conditions, bone, joints, and eyes can all be taken care of completely. And in case you are looking for a specialist, you will be able to be referred to local doctors you can better help you.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment to meet with Dr. Fred Leslie, feel free to give us a call at 727-851-9910.